Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Simple Plan

Today was supposed to be DE Squat day, but I abandoned that plan. Partly to see how my squat was doing but also to test a theory.

Squat: 135x2, 155x2, 175x2, 195x2, 225x1, 255x1, 285x1. The 285 was perfect, though not the fastest. It felt easy out of the rack, I took it down with perfect posture, paused at a below parallel position for one second then lifted it with good back posture. So, even for a ten pound improvement, it was a much better squat than my 275 and with no back pump at the end. The squat/GM combo for high volume is a keeper.

Sumo DL: 155x2, 175x2, 195x2, 225x1, 255x1, 285x1 (switched to staggered grip), 295x0. The speed wasn't there off the floor but my abs were tight enough and my back strong enough to make it look good. However, having done these over a year ago at 355, it was a wake up call. I think my weakness is my hips.

Let me explain. At my best squat (315-330), I was doing a lot of sumo deads, RDLs, and heavy parallel box squats. After months of nothing but box front squatting and not doing nearly as much of the aforementioned work, my squat had taken a dive. That said, it's time for the next 3 weeks of new movements, and a new mindset. Time to attack it!!!

1 comment:

Alberto said...

Both. Back to sumo deads and RDLs, plus heavy sled work, and step-ups with weight. And since it worked so well for my bench, I will be doing squats with bands.