Monday, March 07, 2005

18, 24, 30, 36

I had Reserve drill and my son's basketball game this weekend so not much time to workout this weekend. My unit played Walleyball Sunday afternoon for PT (kind of like a hybrid of racketball and volleyball). I warmed up first, then saw in the Spinning room that they had some new platforms kind of like the ones that I do pushups on, but taller. I went to the front and got the ruler and measured each platform (Thus, the title), then proceeded to test my jump in the same fashion I taught my son to.

The 30" jump surprised me, just because I have never really tested my jump in a formal manner. It looked like a lot, but I had good acceleration and toe push-off at the bottom to land it in the center of the platform.

The 36" jump scared me, since it was just above my waistline. My first attempt, maybe it was my fear or just inexperience, but I barely missed it and ended up scraping my right shin pretty good and falling on my ass. Ouch! On the second attempt, I might have looked as if my knees were approaching my chest and I barely landed it - - - my feet were close to the edge of the platform and I held it a little to make sure I didn't fall back. I then took another leap and landed that one, too, but in the same spot. More work needed but I was happy. This might be a good test of my explosiveness, or a way to boost it. I'll have to figure out how to work this in to my current routine, and what other movements to do for assistance. I plan to do some video for this during the week.

1 comment:

John said...

36" is a pretty good goal for your vertical jump. The best jumpoers aren't basketball players as you might imagine... but Olympic lifters. Put some power cleans in your routine and your jumping ability will skyrocket.