Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Wk 1: Prilepin Squat/DL #1

Today, my body feels toasted. . . . . really exhausted. My first leg workout under this new setup and it was hard. Now, let's see why before I write it down: for the good mornings, compared to a last cycle at about 73%, the total number of reps are the same (40) and total tonnage is close (this workout was 6080 lbs at 69%1RM, the other one would have been 6150 for the same weight). The kicker, I deduced, was the number of reps per set: 4 for this cycle, 3 for the last, so my time under tension is longer. Also, at the working set, the reps were greater (20 reps versus 18)

Standing Calf Raises (125): 45x4x3, 55x4, 55x4, 65x4, 85x4x5

Arched Back Good Mornings (280): 65x4, 85x4, 105x4, 135x4, 155x4, 195x4x5. Let the torture begin, this left me a bit winded. As said above, 4 reps is something I will have to get used to.

Assisted GHR w/80 lbs assist: 4 sets of 5. A real grind, since I haven't done them in a while. For that same reason, it took me the third set before I had my groove back and it was still hard.

Step-Ups on a 24" box: 4 sets of 10. Someone was really Bogarting that 18" box, so I had to go in the Spinning room and do these. I might keep them: the first set, and every other one after that, left me panting because the depth of the steps and the effort I had to put up to step that high (with one leg on the floor, it looked like a below parallel single leg squat for the other leg). Ladies, if you want to kill your backside, this is the movement!!!

Weighted Ball Crunch (45): 20x15, 25x12x2, 30x10. Not much left for these, I had to rest pause the last two sets.

Lying Leg Thrusts: failure at 8, 8, 8, 6 reps.

This workout will probably push my GPP up in 6 weeks. Around week 4, it'll probably feel easier. At that moment, though, I felt humbled and tired. With the aerobics I'll be doing at the same time, I don't see the squat cycle being done just yet. Someday.

No comments: