Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Whether By An Inch or a Mile . . . . . .

On October 1, I weighed in for the Navy Physical Fitness Test (PFT) at 240 pounds with a 17.5-inch neck and a 41-inch waist. This put me at 25% bodyfat based on Navy measurement. And with two failures under my belt due to my stupidity, a third failure would have ended my Navy career. My command fitness leader (CFL) gave me until the weekend of November 5th, the last month for this PFT cycle, to pass. Pressure, eh?

Well, I passed. And I learned why I really should be serious about this and quit futzing around.

I started training seriously a week after October 1, and weighed in at 240 pounds. My goal was to come in at 229 on weight day with at least a 17-inch neck and 38-inch waist, a tall order since 10 pounds for me usually equates to 2-inches off in this weight range. On top of that, I had to maintain as much muscle as I could and since I had no plans of doing the sauna to drop weight, that meant having to diet smart. AND, I had to improve for the run since I had been inactive for 5+ weeks.

I did 5/3/1 and it worked like a charm, though it took doing 4 workouts every 6 days to do this. I had to rebuild a base for cardio for two weeks before kicking it into overdrive with the intervals, and I did two days low carb last week with a day of almost no carbs right after with a repeat of that this week. November 4th was my almost no-carb day, with 55 minutes of walking done on a treadmill for a workout. I dropped the sodium a lot that day and increased the protein, drank a lot of water up until 8PM.

The morning of November 5th, the CFL was at medical so I didn't get measured until almost 9AM: I was starving and pretty dizzy (how people do very low carb diets for months eludes me, this sucked). I weighed in at 229 with the 17-inch neck but my waist was 39 inches, yet I barely passed at 23% . Too close for comfort, and I might have dieted too aggressively. Worse, since we had a combined change of command/awards/retirement ceremony right afterwards, I didn't get to eat until 11AM. I carbed up aggressively for the next day's run, and just kept drinking.

Next day, it was cold but not too bad: the track surrounded the football field which was covered in Astroturf, so the surrounding area was warmer. I just did the minimum pushups and situps to get a Good score, and save myself for the run. But after the 1st of 6 laps, the feeling came over me that I would not pass: i was already winded. Yeah, I think that I was too aggressive just to get where I could pass. Now, I was in a panic. Since I had been training with intervals vice long steady distance, I decided to run the last 5 laps this way: half a lap walking, half running fast. I still passed with a 15:01 time running it like this but I felt sick afterward. When I got home, I conked out and called out sick on Monday the 7th. I felt tired and banged up. Took Tuesday off from the gym, too.

Today, I started up again. A plan is in the works so that maybe I don't do this anymore. Among the obvious lessons, the one that has me thinking is the running. While the intervals saved my hide, it barely did so. No matter what the sell is on HIIT aerobics, I have to train the long steady stuff.

More later . . . . . .

All Notation: Weight x Reps x Sets

Nautilus Nitro Laterals: tested to a 100-lbs 6RM and a 115 pound 4RM.

Assisted Chinups (Light Bands): 5 sets of 2. Took off the monster minis, to start getting closer to training with bodyweight.

DB Rows (Elbows Out): 35x11, 9, 8 reps

Hoist Roc-It Shoulder Press: 62x15x3

Preacher Curls: 30x15x3

Offset DB Farmers Walks: 3 trips for each arm, with 60 pounds.

30 minutes of treadmill walking, 3.5 MPH, Level 10 Hill profile.

1 comment:

Mich said...

First, congratulations on passing!
Second, good luck with your new endurance running program.