Monday, December 19, 2011

Impromptu

All Notation: Weight x Reps x Sets

My son is trying to get the extra 3 or so inches he will need to dunk a basketball, so we have ben doing some speed work with the squats.  Last Wednesday, he did 135 with 2 pairs of chain.  Yesterday, since my light and monster mini bands are losing their elasticity, we were going to do speed squats with average bands.

So I worked the setup and kept testing it at the Submarine Base Bangor Gym.  Then my son showed up from his warmup, ready to go.  I first had him just unrack the bar to make sure he knew what was going to happen once he did: immediately, he remarked how hard he was being yanked downward.  To motivate him to push a little harder, I jumped in.  We did warmup sets of 2 with 75, 95, and 115 pounds before he asked to settle on 125.  From there, we did 8 sets of 2.  After each set, we jumped onto a 28-inch box from about 2 feet away.  I was able to hang with him there, too, but he stuck the landing better and I needed more arm motion to get the jump.

After that, I ran 4 intervals of 2 minutes running at 7.0 MPH and 2 minutes walking at 3.5 MPH.  After that, I was tired and just shot hoops for a while.

I should have remembered that I was going to have a big workout today, because I was sore from yesterday and my upper back was tired.  I got it done but skipped the running.  Will either run after deadlifts tomorrow or do a long walk.

Hoist Roc-It Shoulder Press: Started at 45 pounds and kept adding 15-pounds for triples until I could only get a double at 139 pounds.

Seated DB Shoulder Press: 50 pounds for sets of 5, 3, 3, 3, 3 reps

Assisted Pullups (Light/Monster Mini Bands): sets of 9, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6 reps

Nautilus Nitro Compound Rows: 155x5, 140x5, 125x5, 110x5, 95x5.  155 was a max test, about a 175 computed max. 

Superset:
Trap Bar Shrugs: 165x8x5
DB Curls: 25x8x5

I feel like going to sleep now.  This week is going to suck.

No comments: